Saturday 9 July 2011

The puzzles of life

My dogs love to play ball.
I use the very hard rubber balls as they do not tend to chew them.
I have several on the go and throw them, a sea of dogs chase.
Some one gets it back to me. Some are better than others at giving it.

Poppy will give it but not when the other dogs are close, which is almost all the time. So she keeps it in her mouth.

This morning they have all had a good run around and are panting quite a lot. I collect big buckets of storm water as they do prefer it to tap water. The buckets are full. WOW have we had some rain.

Poppy stood over the bucket, clearly desperate to drink, with a ball in her mouth. She half dropped it and caught it, over the bucket several times. It was so funny to watch her puzzling how to do it.

Her thirst eventually got the better of her and, SPLASH!! in the bucket it went. Once she had quenched her thirst she spent quite a while working out how to retrieve the ball. She could clearly see it under the water. She pushed her nose a little way in several times, I think to test it. She physically stood tall, took a deep breath and plunged her head in. It took her several seconds to bring it out but her did it.

What a clever girl.

Poppy does stand out for me as a particularly bright Lab. I continue with puppy training and she makes me look good. She is such a natural and seems to know what to do before you ask. She loves the close work and walked with me off the lead, glued to my leg. Oscar, my male lab on my other leg.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment